Translate this Blog

Sunday, June 28, 2020

Surviving a Pandemic

Hello, Lovely Tatters.  Here we are, in full swing with a re-opening after a global pandemic that has seen many of us weather upheavals we really hadn't expected.  Some of us are coming out on the other side of this completely unscathed and our families are unaffected.  Still others are still in a place where health measures are in effect  because they still have actively increasing numbers of infections.  Sadly, there are far too many others that have been directly affected by this destructive virus and have either cared for someone that was ill or suffered the loss of someone close to them.  I offer my very deepest and most sincere condolences.

My husband and I have both been laid off since at least the end of March.  While he has been called back to his job for a few days here and there, there is hope that he will be able to go back to work, even part-time, in the near future.

I, on the other hand, have been advised that my layoff is permanent.  A full-time job we depended on because I had extended health benefits has vanished into thin air.

This break has, however, given me some perspective.  I have to admit that I did NOT like my job.  My co-workers were very exclusive.  I wasn't "into" going to church or making greeting cards, and I didn't know any of the same people they did. Going to work was an exercise in loneliness toward the end because even though I did more physical work and worked hard to learn the new system to make me more viable as an employee, it didn't make me any more comfortable in the office.  They continued to ignore me.

So, here I am, actually thinking about a future where I can do what I want for a change.  What does that look like?

Well, for starters, I've started on a book of patterns.  Yup, I'm finally listening to my tatty friends and putting all my knotty thoughts into a book to share with others.

I am sewing again for the first time in a long time.  I have some lovely fabric I'm going to make into some dress shirts for Beloved for when he has to go back to work (He has to wear a dress shirt to work in summer.  It's miserable, but lighter fabric and a properly fitted shirt will make him more comfortable).

I've started a vegetable garden.  I will actually even look at expanding same next year!  Our potato "condo" looks to be producing between 30 and 50 lbs of taters this time round!  I can just imagine looking up recipes for what to do with potatoes no one else wants.  I'm having nightmares where I show up with potatoes at people's houses and they chase me off because they can't use any more, LOL.

I'm thinking of starting to paint ornaments again, too.  It has been 10 years since I painted an egg or a lightbulb, but I will go see if I can still manage to make something someone might like to have.  I sure hope my paints are still liquid!

I supposed what I'm trying to say is:  Look for the glass and fill it as full as you want.  You don't need to be miserable.  If you have a craft, take advantage of your time away from the stress and strain of having to juggle everything OUTSIDE your home and make the most of the time INSIDE your home and indulge yourself in your craft.  You will be astonished at the quality of your result when you have unlimited time to devote to what you like to do.

Become a better friend to yourself and you'll be surprised how much better a friend you can be to others.  Start something new and take this time to learn about it.  I knew nothing about gardening, but I'm learning lots!  It helps to keep from dwelling on all the nasty outside.  It makes you happier.  It makes you healthier.  It surely makes you more fun to be with!

As for me, I'm off to see if I can figure out a new way to make a Catherine Wheel Join work right after another feature.  Wish me luck, folks!

Happy Tatting!

No comments:

Post a Comment