Translate this Blog

Saturday, March 31, 2018

First Mentors

March 31, 2018

Well, here I sit on a blustery and ABSOLUTELY FREEZING Saturday evening, looking out my window at a very big, brilliant, orange full moon rising.  Makes one wax poetic when you see things like that, and wondering where was this mysterious season called "spring". Then the cat jumps in your lap and demands you pay attention to her.  Ah, Mrs. Katz, you can be so demanding!


This has been a busy week.  I put out some feelers for folks to act as mentors for those of our growing community who need a little more personal assistance.  Hey, we've all been there.  No shame in questions.  Who was it that said "The road to knowledge begins with 'I don't know'"?  Well, whoever he/she was, it was well-stated. My question this past week was "will you please put your hand up to help others?" and the response has been astounding!!  I'm so proud of the Canadian tatters that have humbly admitted that their skills might not be the best, but they're willing to help someone with basics.  My response is always that you learn by teaching.  You might not realize it at first, but it will hit you one day that your student helped you learn something.  It's a beautiful circle. 


Before I go any further, I have only asked for an email address from the mentors that have stepped up, and the general area they live in, plus whether they will mentor shuttle or needle.  At no time have I advocated a committment from anyone to travel, and leave any method or contact decisions to the two or more of you.


So I have a list of very kind people from BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Northwest Territories, a few from Ontario, and one lady from New Brunswick that actually knows some of the places I grew up so many long moons ago!  I love the internet.  It brings so many people together over shared memories.


I did get a question from a young lady shuttle tatter near Quebec City wondering if there was someone nearby there that could help her out with some questions.  She didn't care if instruction was in English or French, she just needs help.  Please contact me and I will do my best to connect the two of you.


As I compiled the list of mentors I have collected thus far, I noticed that Blogger was alphabetizing them for me according to shuttle or needle!  I do learn something I like about this little whatever-you-call-it that I'm using to write this blog every time I use it.  I hope to learn how to better categorize things as I go along.


I think I'm done for now.  I'm feeling very happy and proud of what I've started with so many folks' generous help.  I just knew in the back of my mind that if there was a place to get Canadian tatters together to help each other, that we would be up for the call.  We are, after all, Canadians and volunteering to make good things happen is what we do.


Happy Tatting!






No comments:

Post a Comment