Translate this Blog

Monday, March 2, 2020

What is a Tatter?

Hello, Lovely Tatters.

I've been hearing about what goes on with some of the members of our Tatting Community at large and I have to admit to being a bit disappointed by the behaviour and actions of a few.  Taking the fun out of the art for someone else that is struggling or not meeting a standard set by someone else is never a good thing, and it's behaviour of which I want no part.

But I got thinking about what makes a "good" Tatter.  Is it being the best resource for techniques? Is it selling the most books or patterns? Is it being so well-known that every word you post or say is fawned over like it's gospel? I thought about it, and I came up with this:

1.      A Tatter is kind.  Any good Tatter worth knowing is never anything but good-hearted.

2.    A Tatter is generous.  Most good Tatters will go out of their way to make sure you have what you need to make lace.

3.    A Tatter is tolerant.  Good Tatters understand everyone learned differently and that many have overcome great obstacles to make what they can.

4.    A Tatter is accepting.  Another’s work might not be up to a good Tatter’s standard or skill level, but we all started somewhere, and a good Tatter knows that there is always someone’s work that will be better than theirs.

5.     A Tatter is patient.  A good Tatter knows that sometimes you need to repeat yourself many times before what you’re saying “sinks in”.

6.     A Tatter is encouraging.  A good Tatter knows that kindly-worded criticism is more effective than spiteful comments.

7.     A Tatter is inclusive.  Good Tatters understand that regardless of what tool is used, a knot cares not how it’s made; it just wants to be part of something special.

8.    A Tatter is determined.  A good Tatter has had to practiced their art in isolation many times, but did it anyway even if there were no other tatters nearby.

9.     A Tatter is gentle.  A good Tatter delivers comments lovingly or makes no comments at all.

10.  A Tatter is resourceful.  In an environment where materials and tools are sometimes hard to find, a good Tatter can work wonders with what’s at hand.
Shelley Perreault, 2020
“Prairie Lace Tatter”

I'm not perfect, and I will never profess to be perfect.  I make mistakes, and I'm sure I've offended more than one person without ever meaning to (and if I have ever offended you, I humbly apologize!). One thing I hope I will NEVER  be is mean, or spiteful, or dishonest.  I just want to make lace, and I hope I can help someone else do the same thing.  When all is said and done, lace-making of any kind is a labour of love, and one I hope you enjoy as much as me.

Happy Tatting!





No comments:

Post a Comment