Translate this Blog

Saturday, May 16, 2020

And Now We're Both Laid Off

Hello, Lovely Tatters!

Yes, again, it has been a while since posting.  It has been a difficult couple of months here as both my husband and I have been laid off our jobs due to the pandemic situation.  He got his notice three weeks before I did, but my layoff came on a day off, and they called me on the phone by getting me out of bed.  

I've been trying to stay busy with tatting, and it has worked somewhat since I have worked up Jon Yusoff's "Threads that Bind" tatalong.  If you've not tried it, here's a link:


It is also called the "14-Day Challenge", so you might see both names floating around.  The link I posted is all 14 days together.

My daughter has requested one of these made in dark garnet red with a touch of pink and mounted in a frame for her wall.  She has decided she wants artwork done by friends to put on her walls.  She asked if I would either paint or tat something for her, so I opted for this.  It's actually easy, just be sure to pay attention to where your joins are.

I've been keeping busy with tatting, making masks for friends and family, and now I've agreed to make masks for my husband's job so they can open.  Well, at least ONE of us knows when we'll be back to work!  My job hasn't even had the courtesy to sneeze in my general direction, so I haven't got a clue.

I've started a vegetable garden, and it's in containers, so let's see how that goes, LOL.  I've even got my husband to build me a "potato condo".  Look it up, it's really cool!  I've not got the greenest of thumbs, so wish me luck, please!

I think the hardest part of all this "isolation and distancing" is the uncertainty.  I don't handle uncertainty and unknown factors well at all.  Cancellation and rescheduling of everything I usually do and count on to add routine that I depend on to help with stability in my life has really been difficult.

If you're having issues with keeping busy, try learning to do a small thing you never thought you'd have time to do.  I'm learning to garden, I'm trying to connect with people both online and at a distance in my community, I've dedicated myself to making things for other people so I'm obligated to at least speak to someone face-to-face so I can deliver them (at a distance, of course). I've decided I want to learn a tatting technique, but I need to find someone to SHOW me because I'm not really good with photos because I need to be able to see what is being done as it's done.  That has been an issue.

Folks, if you're having issues feeling isolated, there are lots of folks in the groups that feel the same way.  Contact one of them and have an old-fashioned knotty conversation.  You'd be surprised at how much good it does for you!

I don't want to get "preachy" here, but if you're finding things aren't as easy as you usually find them and need more than just a few giggles with online friends, there are vast numbers of places you can get advice.  We're all in the same boat, so you're not really alone but some folks need a bit more to get them through troubled times and that is okay!  We all handle things differently, and that's what makes us unique.  Heck, you can even contact me, I've got broad shoulders!

Happy Tatting!





No comments:

Post a Comment