Translate this Blog

Tuesday, November 3, 2020

An Interview with Deana Mackenzie

Hello, Lovely Tatters!

I must apologize for my lack of presence.  I've been struggling with some personal matters and couldn't get online beyond a quick text here or there, but I'm here now.  I've not been out of contact, I've just been stupid busy with a great many things at home, and I humbly apologize.

I have another tatter for you all to "meet".  May I introduce to you Ms. Deana Mackenzie!  I first met Deana in 2018 when she and some friends from Ontario travelled to Indiana for Lisa Greenlee Adams' first Tat Days.  She's a lovely person to chat with, and she's made me giggle on many occasions since.

Let's get on with this post!  As before, the answers provided by this lovely person have been posted in red italics.  Without further ado, may I present to you "An Interview with Deana Mackenzie":

1.  How long have you been tatting?  

Approximately 40 years

2.  What first drew you to learn? 

An article in a miniature magazine for a table cloth tatted in silk sewing thread. (I have long misplaced the book and have never tackled the pattern)

3.  How did you learn; did you have a teacher? 

I basically struggled to teach myself from old books for about 2 years.  I eventually visited an aunt, who didn't know how to tat but finally took a look at what I was doing and could say I was missing the flip.  I practiced, practiced, and practiced more and finally achieved "the flip" she was describing to me.  Eventually the internet came around and I found lots of help there.

4.  Needle, shuttle, both? Why? 

I primarily shuttle tat, however I have dabbled in both and can see the usefulness of learning both methods.  Having learned with a shuttle I don't like the long piece of thread that you seem to have to pull through your work when using a needle.

5.  What do you get from this artform? 

I get the satisfaction of keeping an older artform current and being able to share unique handcrafted gifts.  Also, I love the looks on people’s faces when they realize it is NOT crochet but instead all completed with knots.

6.  Are any other family members tatters?

As far as I know we have no other tatters in our family's history.

7. Do you have an online “presence”; a blog or Facebook page you’d like to see folks visit more? 

I am active in Facebook but I do not have an active blog.

8. Have you published any books or patterns, designed any gadgets or developed any techniques? 

I leave this up to those who have the creative talents to design.  I do appreciate all those creative people and hours they commit to designing for those of use who are design challenged.  I support many of these creative people by purchasing their patterns and do some test tatting for some.

9. Does your family support your art?  What kinds of accommodations do they make?

My parents have been very supportive in my early years by buying everything tatting they could find tatting related, often having to stay to the end of an auction to buy a box lot for that one little shuttle they spotted in a bottom of a box or a seat of a sewing machine.  Thanks to them I have a "small" collection of older shuttles and books dating back to the 1800's (I think 1849)

10.  What does tatting do for you? 

Currently it is giving me lots to do during the COVID lockdown.  It a good relaxation activity as well as an instigator to many unfinished projects to make sure I’m never bored.

11.  Have you entered competitions? Shows? Anything you’d like to brag about? 

I have not entered any competitions.

12.  What do you hope to accomplish with your art? 

Hopefully I am passing along the artform to some younger people who might someday pass it along to another generation.

13.  Is there anything you DON’T like about tatting? 

Making mistakes and having to cut off hours of work or picking out 100s of knots.

14.  Have you taught others to tat? Are any of your family members interested in learning? 

I will teach anyone that is interested.  We have a small group that meets at a library it is free for anyone who wants to come and learn.  I have also done some one on one sessions and am always willing to teach when I'm demonstration this artform.

15.  Where do see this artform in general in, say, 20 years? 

Well tatting seems to become popular every 20 years every time there are new patterns, new techniques, and new ideas.  In 20 years, if I'm still alive, I can only imagine how awestruck I will be to see how it evolves.  I can't imagine since todays patterns are so wonderful and intricate.

16.  Anything you’d like to say about tatting in general?  

Although tatting can be frustrating, it is relaxing for the most part.  I can only look at an old piece of tatting with admiration and wonder about the tatter who completed the work, If it is old enough how did the person ever accomplish such a piece with only a candle or oil lamp? Although tatting may fall out of popularity, I know tatting will never become a totally lost artform; there will always be someone passing the artform down to another generation.  Currently we have a family with 4 children ranging from about 4 to 13 all who are tatting along with all us older folks and enjoying their accomplishments. 

I remember chatting with Deana when I first met her, and  was thrilled when I found out that she lived not far from Cambridge, Ontario.  I mentioned that I had lived in both Kitchener and in Waterloo, and that I had struggled to learn to tat when I lived there.  I didn't have consistent access to reliable internet or I would have been attending the Fringe Tatters events and getting some help!

By the way, Fringe Element Tatters are on Facebook, you can find them under "Fringe Tatters" in a search, but look for this photo.  

They hold an annual event (except for this year, of course) and it is very well-attended by artists from both Canada and the United States.  Deana is a regular attendee and you should look her up when you go.  I'm sure she'd be happy to meet another artist!

Happy Tatting!

No comments:

Post a Comment