Translate this Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Shopping Near Calgary in Alberta

What a great visit! This past Friday I had the privilege of visiting a very quaint little store in Cochrane, Alberta called “The Stitching Corner”. I had the pleasure of meeting Betty Whitford, who graciously showed me all around everything she could think of that might help with supplying a tatter from beautifully sparkling metallic threads to lovely seed beads. They have an excellent variety of Kreinik metallics and some silk threads I had never heard of but wanted so badly to try. Unfortunately, time and funds were limited on this trip. I would have needed a wheelbarrow to cart away all the lovely things I wanted to have! It isn’t often I get to physically visit a store that is as well-stocked as this one, and I would have happily spent hours perusing everything in which I had an interest. Alas, we were due elsewhere and we had to go.

This stitcher's heaven is located in a sweet little town called Cochrane, Alberta at Bay 2, 185 First Street East. Their website is at the right. You can email them at nygabe@telus.ca, or call them at 403-932-3096. Unfortunately, they don’t do online shopping, but they do a whopping mail order business and they can get just about anything your little heart desires. Call them or email them with your questions and they’ll be happy to talk with you. I took some pictures in the store and am posting them here with Betty’s kind permission.


Silk Threads!


Seed Beads


Embroidery Threads!


More Silk Threads that GLITTER!


Anchor Threads and Kreinik Metallics!!


Books on almost any subject you could want!

It's an amazing little shop, and I had such a good time visiting with Betty.  If you're in the area, please stop in and let them know I sent you!  If there is something you're wanting but they don't have it in stock, they can order it for you.  

While they don't have an online store and don't plan to have one because the amount of work involved, they will communicate with you in whatever manner you have available.  You can email them, you can call them, you can send them a letter, you can email them.  These are a very knowledgeable group of people and they will find a way to help you

I did learn something a little disturbing, though.  It seems that Canadian craft distributors are, in essence, penalizing Canadian retailers because they don't sell enough. Postal charges are over-the-top,  there's no benefit to selling to a domestic client, and the distributors treat the Canadian retailers almost like an inconvenience.  You would think a distributor would like to keep the Canadian outlets in business.  Ladies and gentlemen, we need to support our local shops, or we won't have them. I don't want that, do you?

On a personal note, my husband and I were invited to the wedding of the son of a good friend of his (they grew up together) in the BC mountains.  Beautiful weather, the mountains in spring, good friends and of course, a killer party!  Gave me some time while travelling to work on a little something.  I love butterflies, and I've made a couple of modifications to an ice drop I've already got in my head to get this:


Butterflies!!

As usual, I have done it all in one trip around, and there are next to no ends to sew in.  The most complicated part is, believe it or not, the antennae!  Once you do a few, they're a piece of cake, but they sure are a pain when you're trying to get them to measure up evenly.  It was fun to make, though.  So, what is on your shuttle/needle?

Happy tatting!


No comments:

Post a Comment